Protest by South Africa regarding incidents during last month’s World Cup qualifying games were dismissed by FIFA on Friday.
FIFA has concluded that the protest was ”declared inadmissible by the disciplinary committee.”
South Africa lost it’s decisive match in the final round of group games last month, with Ghana earning three points to win their group and advance to the playoffs.
The South African soccer federation challenged the conduct of Senegalese referee Maguette N’Diaye and cited unfair decisions, including a first-half penalty awarded to Ghana that decided the 1-0 victory.
FIFA did not give the exact reason for denying the protest but cited sections of its disciplinary code and regulations for the 2022 World Cup qualifying program.
Those sections include rejecting all protests “about the referee’s decisions regarding facts connected with play.”
It also said team captains must immediately dispute “any incidents that occur during the course of a match” both before play resumes and “in the presence of the captain of the opposing team.”
Protests also have to be made formally in writing within 24 hours of the game and with an administration fee of 1,000 Swiss francs ($1,100) paid. FIFA said South Africa can challenge the disciplinary rulings at its appeal committee.
Ghana is among the 10 group winners that will take part in five two-leg playoffs scheduled for March 21-29. The pairings have not yet been drawn.
The playoff winners will get Africa’s five places at next year’s World Cup in Qatar.