Gavin Brown was unlawfully killed after ‘chokehold’ outside pub

A jury at South Manchester Coroners Court has ruled that Gavin Brown was unlawfully killed after being restrained outside the Melville Hotel in Stretford.

The dad-of-two, who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia, died at Salford Royal Hospital, eight days after the altercation.

The 29-year-old had been kept in an induced coma, but died as a result of brain damage.

Jurors said, Mr Brown had suffered a cardiac arrest suffered due to physical restraint in which he was held down for at least six minutes.

There was no welfare checks made during this time and the restraint led to irreversible hypoxic ischemic brain injury, leading to Gavin’s death at Salford Royal Hospital.

During the two-week inquest into Mr Brown’s death, several witnesses gave evidence over the course of the hearing – including police, bar staff and pubgoers.

CCTV video footage played to jurors showed Mr Brown drinking at the Head bar, in Stretford, with a friend for several hours before catching a taxi for Derbyshire Avenue at 8.15pm.

After making a stop at a convenience store on the way, the taxi changed course and dropped Mr Brown and his friend off at The Melville.

Alain Kamga, one of the two staff working on the door that night, told jurors he brought Mr Brown to the ground after he had thrown two punches at the bouncer, before pressing down onto his eyes.

The court heard that a number of people left The Melville to see what was going on, including Stefan O’Donnell.

He told jurors there was ‘some tussling going on’ and joined in to restrain Mr Brown in a ‘chokehold’ position with his chin pressed against his chest.

Another bouncer – Amechi ‘Mitch’ Omeje – told jurors he also helped to restrain Mr Brown until police arrived, but declined to answer why he didn’t stop to check if he was breathing.

Following the jury’s conclusion, coroner Mr Bridgman urged Greater Manchester Police to take another look at the case with prosecutors.