The Minority Caucus on Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee has strongly criticised the government over the postponement of plans to evacuate Ghanaians living in South Africa following renewed xenophobic tensions, describing the delay as a sign of poor planning and weak crisis management.
In a statement issued on May 22, 2026, the caucus expressed deep concern about what it called the government’s inability to match public assurances with concrete action, especially at a time many Ghanaian nationals in South Africa are reportedly living in fear and uncertainty.
The statement, signed by the Ranking Member on the Foreign Affairs Committee and Member of Parliament for Damongo, Samuel Abu Jinapor, followed an announcement by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that the planned evacuation exercise had been postponed due to legal and logistical challenges.
According to the Minority, the government had earlier assured the public that measures were being put in place to evacuate affected Ghanaians after reports of fresh xenophobic incidents emerged in parts of South Africa.
Those incidents reportedly involved intimidation, threats, and attacks targeting foreign nationals, reviving fears similar to previous waves of anti-immigrant violence that have periodically erupted in the country over the years.
South Africa has witnessed several outbreaks of xenophobic violence since 2008, with migrants from other African countries often becoming targets of attacks linked to unemployment, economic hardship, and social tensions.
Ghanaian traders and residents have in the past been affected by such disturbances, prompting diplomatic engagements between the governments of Ghana and South Africa.
The Minority noted that the recent tensions had forced hundreds of Ghanaians to reportedly register with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria in anticipation of possible evacuation and government assistance.
The caucus argued that from the onset of the crisis, it consistently called on government to take swift and decisive steps to protect Ghanaian citizens abroad, stressing that safeguarding nationals outside the country remains one of the primary responsibilities of every government.
However, the group said it was unacceptable for authorities to announce an evacuation plan only to later suspend it over what it described as avoidable operational difficulties.
“It is disappointing that after the announcements, assurances and public statements, we are now being told that the exercise has been postponed due to legal and logistical requirements,” the statement said.
The Minority further argued that such concerns should have been resolved before any public commitment was made, insisting that the latest development raises serious questions about the preparedness and responsiveness of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in handling matters involving citizen welfare abroad.
The caucus also warned that behind every statistic are real people and families relying on the Ghanaian state for protection and reassurance during moments of crisis.
It therefore called on government to urgently reassess the situation, provide regular and transparent updates to affected citizens, and ensure that all necessary measures are taken to guarantee the safety, dignity, and welfare of Ghanaians currently living in South Africa.
The statement adds to growing political scrutiny over the government’s handling of foreign affairs and emergency response coordination, particularly in situations involving the safety of Ghanaian citizens outside the country.
